Let’s be real – ‘The Rec‘ (the 5v5 pickup game mode in NBA 2K22), is long overdue for a complete revamp. From awful matchmaking, to getting stuck with sucky AI teammates that rarely hit an open shot, to trolls and ball hogs that ruin the experience. In NBA 2K22, The Rec has gotten a bit stale, compounded with a few head-scratching moves by 2K that have hurt the overall experience in the last few iterations of the game.
The good news is that there are several realistic solutions to improve the game mode. Here we list out a summary of Rec’s main problems and some potential solutions for how to improve it for NBA 2K23:
Issue #1: Bad Matchmaking
Having a squad of ‘sweats’ playing vs a team of thrown-together randoms is usually not a fun experience for either team, but it happens all too often in NBA 2K22 Rec.
- Randoms shouldn’t be matched up with full squads ever
- Similar to Old Gym and some Park courts, there could be a “no squads” doorway. Or it could have an entry for “teams of 2 or 3” (teams of 2’s would join teams of 3), “teams of 5”, or some combination of them all.
- Improve Pro-Am matchmaking and incentives so that more squads play Pro-Am
Issue #2: AI Teammates (that suck)
In new-gen NBA 2K22, AI teammates fill out a roster after a set amount of time has passed if there aren’t enough real players. This usually causes players to back out once or several times, which means it ultimately takes longer to get in a game.
- Remove AI teammates from Rec entirely. If players really wanted AI teammates, they’d play MyCAREER vs the computer.
- Push to make NBA 2K23 Cross-Platform and potentially Cross-Gen so that there are more players available to get into games faster.
Issue #3: Bad Teammates
In Rec, you’re going to find all types of players: good, bad, and everything in between — basketball purists, sweats, glitchers, noobs, ball hogs, trolls, stat chasers, etc. But there are ways to improve the Rec experience, no matter the type of teammate you end up with.
- Expand the Teammate Grade penalties/reward system to encourage better gameplay, i.e. harsher penalties for ball hogs, good and bad streaks (i.e. 10 heavily contested shots in a row should be a penalty), and also factoring in more metrics like FG% and advanced stats.
- Use the NBA 2K Teammate Finder
- Expand the displayed stats. There should be more detailed stats like “Assist-to-Turnover Ratio”, “PER”, and more.
- Add a new feature such as “Badges” and/or “Traits”, that dynamically characterize how users play online (good and bad). For example, there could be a “Ball Hog” Badge, “Iso Gawd” Badge, “Dish the Rock” Badge, etc. Traits would be determined dynamically by how a user plays online, factoring in things like user tendencies, advanced stats and metrics, intangibles, how often someone quits, etc.
- Be able to back out of the Rec locker room quicker
Issue #4: Gameplay
Gameplay can use improvement too, but this is a broader topic. Overall, 2K should be rewarding smart gameplay.
- Encourage team basketball, more ball movement, motion offense, etc:
- Eliminate the “Handles for Days” Badge and drain stamina faster for excessive dribbling and changes in direction.
- Nerf the “Interceptor Badge” and drain stamina faster for excessive passing lane steal attempts.
- Increase Teammate Grade reward for assists, good team passing, and good off-ball movement.
- Nerf speed boosting
- Make the court size bigger
Issue #5: Too Stale
Rec hasn’t seen a whole lot of in-depth improvement or innovations from when it was introduced a few years ago (known then as “2K Pro Am – Walk On”).
- Switch up the uniforms every Season or every month to keep it fresh
- Add an option to have stats displayed ‘per build’.
- Add in-game announcers
- Have a bigger and more lively crowd
- Add a lot of Rec-exclusive challenges / quests
- Add more 2XP Rec Events
The potential drawback to some of these potential solutions is that it may take longer to find games. Some players may be okay with that if it means a better overall experience, or adding things like cross-platform capability may negate any long wait times completely.
That’s it! There is our list for ways to improve The Rec for NBA 2K23. If you have any ideas of your own, join the NBA 2K Community and add them in the comments!