Everything we know about NBA 2K20 archetypes so far: including testing out your builds, the creation process, all confirmed badges, takeover, body types, and more!
[Check out the #1 NBA 2K20 MyPLAYER Builder]
YOU CAN TEST OUT & DYNAMICALLY ADJUST YOUR BUILD
- Before finalizing your build you have the option to test out your build, testing out from 60-99 OVR in a scrimmage game.
- Your attributes increase as you adjust your rating before your test. If you make a bad build, you can always fix it.
- The Builder test allows you to see your player’s full potential
- In MyCareer, etc. you’ll have to build your way up. The test just allows you to see what’s to come if you make this build.
- In testing you can max out your player but he’s still limited to the weak areas you chose within your chart.
- You won’t need VC to try out your builds at different overalls in the demo – You can remove badges and also readjust your attributes dynamically.
LIST OF NBA 2K20 ARCHETYPES
*Note: This list is a work in progress
- 2 way 3 Level Facilitator
- 2 Way 3 Level Scorer
- 2 Way 3 PT Facilitator
- 2 Way 3 PT Playmaker
- 2 Way 3 PT Shot Creator
- 2 Way Facilitator
- 2 Way Finisher
- 2 Way Mid Range Shooter
- 2 Way Mid Range Specialist
- 2 Way Pass First Guard
- 2 Way Pass First Wing
- 2 Way Post Playmaker
- 2 Way Scoring Machine
- 2 Way Sharpshooter
- 2 Way Shot Creator
- 2 Way Slasher
- 2 Way Slashing Playmaker
- 2 Way Stretch Four
- 2 Way Stretch Five
- 2 Way Tempo Pusher
- 3 & D Guard
- 3 & D Point
- 3 & D Wing
- 3 Level Playmaker
- 3 Level Scorer
- 3 PT Playmaker
- 3 PT Shooter
- 3 PT Specialist
- All Around 2 Way
- Athletic Finisher
- Back to Basket Big
- Ball Hawk
- Deep Range Shot Creator
- Defender / Rebounder
- Facilitating Finisher
- Facilitating Shooter
- Finesse Finisher
- Floor Spacing Slasher
- Glass Cleaner
- Glass Cleaning Finisher
- Glass Cleaning Lockdown
- Handles / Passing
- Inside Out Facilitator
- Inside Out Playmaker
- Inside Out Scorer
- Interior Big
- Interior Finisher
- Interior Force
- Interior Playmaker
- Lob Threat
- Lockdown Defender
- Mid Interior Facilitator
- Mid Range Finisher
- Mid Range Maestro
- Mid Range Playmaker
- Mid Range Slasher
- Mid Range Specialist
- Multi Position Defender
- Offense Initiator
- Offensive Minded Wing
- Offensive-Orientated Four
- Offensive-Orientated Five
- Offensive Threat
- Paint Beast
- Paint Defender
- Passing and Ball Handling
- Perimeter Defender
- Perimeter Lockdown
- Playmaking Glass Cleaner
- Playmaking Four
- Playmaking Five
- Playmaking Shot Creator
- Playmaking Slasher
- Point Power Foward
- Post Playmaker
- Rebounding Guard
- Rebounding Point
- Rebounding Wing
- Scoring Machine
- Sharpshooting Facilitator
- Shot-Blocking Wing
- Shot Creator
- Slashing Playmaker
- Small Ball Wing
- Small Ball Four
- Stretch Four
- Stretch Five
- Stretch Glass Cleaner
- Stretch Playmaker
- Well Rounded Guard
- Well Rounded Wing
- Well Rounded Four
ARCHETYPES / BUILDS & ATTRIBUTES
- So many ways / variables to create a build. A lot more variables between myplayers now due to body type, height, weight, wingspan dribble styles, dribble moves, badge combos, etc.
- The game doesn’t define the archetypes anymore. It’s all on the user.
- If you have low finisher attributes, then you won’t get access to the better Dunk Animations. However, you’ll still be able to finish at the rim with the right badges.
- Your Build type and attributes determine which categories can get HOF badges as well as how many upgrade points you have for your badges in that category.
- You can speed boost, but it looks more fluid and realistic. Its called Quick First Step now.
- The names for the builds vary based on how you apply your attributes.
- When you apply your attributes, that also determines your badges and Takeover.
- You don’t necessarily have 3 archetypes. You have 4 categories you can upgrade. Its just up to you how you balance your player out.
- You have around a number of attribute upgrades to play with. The more “points” you put into a category the higher the cap can go. This also lets get more badge levels in that category. There are other factors that affect the cap such as height, weight, wingspan, and position.
- You choose a Pie chart that acts as the base of your build and then you place “Potential” points within 4 categories; Playmaking, Finishing, Shooting, Rebounding/Defense. Then you place badges which you can upgrade, add & remove.
- When you are finished, the game tells you which NBA athlete your player most resembles
- Described as the most balanced MyPLAYER builder yet
- It’s suggested people will be 99’s quicker this year
- Need a minimum of Driving Dunk 41 attribute to even consider dunking with people around. If you wanna catch bodies, rec’m doubling that and equipping Contact Finisher. The actual contact dunk animations unlock at all different ratings based on the content.
- Once you hit 95 you’ll never drop below it. But your rating will fluctuate between 95 to 99 based on how well you play (win % and stats).
- The cutoffs are the same as last year (I believe.) Small Contact: 85 Driving PG-SF, Bigman Contact: 75 Standing/50 Driving PF-C, Pro Contact: 84 Driving, Elite Contact: 85 Driving.
- You need to be 65 overall and 70 Ball Handle to unlock Pro dribble moves.
- You need 86 Speed w/ball for tier 3 first steps. Speed w/ ball is 70% Speed rating and 30% Ball Handling. Quick First Step makes all your launches quicker (regardless of tier)
- Shot Contest rating has been removed, 2K looks at your Interior or Perimeter Defense ratings, depending on where the shot is taken.
- Height, wingspan, and defensive rating are “all pretty much equally important” as it relates to shot contesting
- You’ll be most successful if you reach when you’re sitting on the ball hand side, during a dribble move, in a body up ride with someone else, during a fumble, or if you’re coming from the blind side.
- When you raise your height, it decrease your cap for driving layup, driving dunk, mid range, 3 PT, free throw, pass accuracy, ball handle, perimeter D, lateral quickness, steal. It’ll raise your cap for interior defense (that we know of so far).
- Wingspan and weight still affect attributes
- Attributes dictate the badge level
- There are no double bars anymore
- VC prices are the same as NBA 2K19’s
- Around 80 badges in total, 21 of them are directly related to driving and slashing
- Most of 2K19’s badges are returning, most badges were re-worked to either be more balanced / more useful for different build types, or removed.
- There are a lot of new defensive badges
- Added Neighborhood-specific badges that enhance the physicality and flashy play of the Playground.
- Badges still have the same 4 levels: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Hall of Fame Badges
- You can dynamically adjust, equip, upgrade, downgrade, and remove your build’s badges as you see fit.
- You do not have to “regrind”. You can lower the badge’s level to put the upgrades elsewhere or remove that badge all together for a certain matchup.
- There are more Badges for your Builds primary ability, your weaker areas won’t get HOF badges.
- You get a higher number for Badge upgrades depending on your archetype
- The higher overall you are, The more badge slots you will unlock. For example, an 80 overall only has 5 badge slots. You will need to choose badges very wisely, as there is going to be limited room in the beginning.
- You will be able to equip and obtain the rim protector badge on any build this year, including guards, but it’s capped out at bronze if you do not mold you’re player into a secondary defender.
NBA 2K20 BADGES LIST
|ACROBAT||Boosts the ability to hit high degree of difficulty layups.
Spin, half-spin, hop step, euro-step, cradle, reverse and change shot layup attempts receive a significant boost.
|BACKDOWN PUNISHER||Increase the chances of a player successfully backing down their opponent.
Allow players to have more success than normal when backing down a defender in the paint.
|CONSISTENT FINISHER||Reduces the penalty for poorly released layups.
Penalties for mis-timed layups are reduced, allowing players to make layups more consistently.
|CONTACT FINSIHER||Improves the ability to convert contact layups and dunks in traffic.
Slashers who play below the rim finish contact layups more successfully while dunkers are able to pull off more contact dunks.
|CROSS-KEY SCORER||Boosts the shot percentage for layups when moving across the paint.
Boosts the ability to make running hooks, layups or close range pull-ups while driving across the paint.
|DEEP HOOKS||Boosts the shot percentage when shoooting hooks from a deep distance.
Post hooks taken far from the basket receive less of a distance penalty than normal.
|DROP STEPPER||Improves a player’s ability to effectively use dropsteps in the post.
Allows for more success when attempting post dropsteps and hop steps, in addition to protecting the ball better, while performing these moves in the post.
|FANCY FOOTWORK||Improves a player’s ability to beat defenders with an advanced layup or dunk gather.
Players get past defenders more efficiently when performing euro, cradle, hop step, spin and half-spin gathers.
|FASHTBREAK FINISHER||Boosts player’s Takeover meter when completing a dunk on a fastbreak.
Gives an additional boost to a player’s Takeover meter when successfully dunking on a fastbreak.
|GIANT SLAYER||Heightens the effectiveness of layups over taller defenders.
Boosts the shot peprcentage for a layup attempt when mismatched against a taller defender and reduces the possibility of getting blocked.
|LOB CITY FINISHER||Improves the chances of completing a successful alley-oop dunk/layup.
Improves a player’s ability to successfully finish an alley-oop layup or dunk. The shot must be taken before the receiver lands.
|PICK & ROLLER||Increases shot percentage as the roller in a pick & roll.
When rolling off the pick and roll, a shot boost is applied if the layup or dunk attempt comes within a few seconds after catching the pass.
|PRO TOUCH||Gives an additional boost for having good layup timing.
Gives an extra shot boost for having slightly early, slightly late, or excellent shot timing on layups.
|PUTBACK BOSS||Increases shot percentage when attempting a putback after an offensive rebound. Boosts the shot attributes of a player that attempts a putback layup or dunk right after getting an offensive rebound.|
|RELENTLESS FINISHER||Reduces the fatigue effects from continually finishing at the rim with contact.
Improves a player’s ability to take a lot of contact by reducing the energy lost when attacking the rim for contact shots.
|SHOWTIME||Boosts team’s Takeover meters after completing a highlight play.
Gives an additional boost to a player’s Takeover meter and his/her teammates, when successfully completing an And-1 or flashy dunk.
|SLITHERY FINISHER||Improves a player’s ability to avoid contact when attacking the rim.
Increases a player’s ability to slide through traffic and avoid contact during gathers and finishes at the rim.
|TEAR DROPPER||Increases the chance of hitting floaters and runners.
Improves a player’s ability to knock down floaters and runners.
|CATCH & SHOOT||Boosts the chance of hitting a jump shot immediately after a catch.
For a short time after receiving a pass, the receiver’s outside shooting attributes get a significant boost.
|CLUTCH SHOOTER||Increases the ability to knock down shots in clutch moments.
Shot attmepts that occur during the final moments of the 4th quarter, or in any overtime period, receive a large boost.
|CORNER SPECIALIST||Gives a boost to shots taken near the corner.
Deep mid-range or 3PT shots taken along the baseline of the court receive a boost, whether it is off the dribble or off a catch.
|DEADEYE||Reduces the impact of a defender who is closing out.
Jump shots taken with a defender closing out receive less of a penalty from a shot contest. This includes both mid-range and 3PT shots.
|DEEP FADES||Improves the chance of making a post fadeaway from deep range.
Post fadeaways taken far from the basket receive less of a distance penalty than normal
|DIFFICULT SHOTS||Improves the ability to shoot difficult shots off the dribble.
High difficulty jumpers such as hop steps, spins, stepbacks, and pull-ups receive a shot percentage boost.
|FLEXIBLE RELEASE||Reduces the penalty suffered from mis-timed jump shot released.
Shot timing penalties for jump shots are reduced, making it easier to knock down attempts even when releasing early or late.
|GREEN MACHINE||Increases the bonus given for coonsecutive excellent releases.
Gives an additional shot boost when consecutively achieving excellent releases on jump shots.
|HOT START||Improves player’s shooting ability after making first shot until a miss occurs. For every made shot from the beginning of the game, player receives a shot attribute bonus that lasts until the first missed shot attempt.|
|HOT ZONE HUNTER||Boosts the shot percentage for attempts taken in a player’s favorite spots.
Shots that are taken in a player’s’ hot zone(s) are given a boost
|ICE IN VEINS||Improves a player’s free throw percentage during critical moments.
Free throws taken in the second half of close games or overtime periods are given a boost. Also, the timing window for free throws becomes larger.
|PICK & POPPER||Elevates the shot percentage for an attempt taken off a pick and fade situation.
Shot attempts that come after setting a screen are given a boost if the shot happens far enough from the rim and within a few seconds after the screen has been set.
|PUMP FAKE MAESTRO||Decreases the penalty that comes from shooting after pump fakes.
Shortens the timer that determines how long after a pump fake a player can shoot without incurring a shot percentage penalty.
|QUICK DRAW||Speeds up the release of a jump shot.
The higher the badge level, the faster a player will be able to release all jump shots.
|RANGE EXTENDER||Extends the range from which a player can effectively.
Adds extra distance to a player’s given shot range for both mid-range and 3PT shots.
|SLIPPERY OFF-BALL||Strengthens the player’s ability to get open off the ball.
When attempting to get open off screens, the player more effectively navigates through traffic.
|STEADY SHOOTER||Reduces the penalties for contested shots and bonuses for open shots.
Shot attempts that are contested receive less of a penalty, however shot attempts that are open do not receive as much of a bonus.
|TIRELESS SHOOTER||Improves a player’s ability to make shots when fatigued.
Shot attributes on jump shots suffer a smaller penalty than normal when fatigued.
|VOLUME SHOOTER||Boosts shot percentages as shot attempts accrue throughout the game.
After a player has taken a small handful of shots, an additional boost to shot attributes is given for every subsequent shot, whether it’s a make or a miss.
|ANKLE BREAKER||Improves the likelihood of freezing or dropping a defender during dribble moves.
When performing stepbacks and other certain moves, the defender stumbles or falls more frequently when biting the wrong way.
|BAIL OUT||Increases the chances of successfully completing a pass from mid-air.
Passing out of a jump shot or layup yields fewer errant passes than normal.
|BREAK STARTER||Improves a player’s ability to make effective outlet passes after grabbing a rebound.
After grabbing a defensive board, deep outlet passes made up the court are more accurate. Passes must be made quickly following the defensive rebound.
|DIMER||Boosts the shot percentage for open teammates on jump shots after catching a pass.
When in the half-court, passes by Dimers to open shooters yield a shot percentage boost.
|DOWNHILL||Increases the overall speed with ball in transition.
Gives a bonus to a player’s Speed With Ball attribute in fastbreak situations.
|DREAM SHAKE||Raises the chances that a defender bites when doing fakes in the post.
Post moves fakes have a higher chance of stunning a defender. Also, shot attempts following post moves and shot fakes have an increased shot percentage.
|FLASHY PASSER||Gives an additional boost to player’s Takeover meter after completing an assist with a flashy pass.
After completing a flashy pass for an assist, both the passer and scorer receive an additional boost to their Takeover meters.
|FLOOR GENERAL||Teammates receive an offensive attribute bonus when player is in the game.
Gives offensive attributes boosts to teammates when on the floor. Also, at the Hall of Fame level, can see teammates’ potential shot percentages while on offense.
|HANDLES FOR DAYS||Reduces the amount of energy lost when performing dribble moves.
A player takes less of an energy hit when performing consecutive dribble moves, allowing them to chain together combos quicker and for longer periods of time.
|LOB CITY PASSER||Improves the chances of completing a successful alley-oop pass.
When throwing an alley-oop pass, an attribute boost is given to both the passer and receiver to improve the chances of success.
|NEEDLE THREADER||Increases the likelihood that tough passes can get by the defense.
When passing through a tight window between defenders, a boost is given to the player’s passing ability/
|PASS FAKE MAESTRO||Increases the effectiveness of pass fakes.
Pass fakes become quicker and tighter, making them more useful in baiting the defense.
|POST SPIN TECHNICIAN||Improves the ability of a post spin or drive to work effectively.
Attempting to do post spins or drives result in more effective moves, and less of a chance to be stripped.
|QUICK FIRST STEP||Provides more explosive first steps out of triple threat and size-ups.
When driving out of a triple threat or after a size-up, ball handlers have access to quicker, and more effective, launches.
|SPACE CREATOR||Improves a player’s ability to create space from a defender.
When performing any stepback move or shot, there’s a higher chance of successfully creating separation from the opponent.
|STOP & GO||Improves a player’s ability to start and stop with the ball.
Allows for the ball handler to start and stop quickly with unique stops and launches exclusive to this badge.
|TIGHT HANDLES||Improves a player’s ability to break down their defender.
Increases a player’s ball handling ability in size-up situations, making it easier to break down the on-ball defender.
|UNPLUCKABLE||Reduces the chances of getting stripped by the defender.
When performing dribble moves, defenders have a tougher time poking the ball free with their steal attempts.
|BOX||Improves player’s ability to box out opponents.
Strengthens a player’s ability to effectively box out opponents in anticipation of a rebound.
|BRICK WALL||Increases effectiveness of screens and drains energy from opponents on physical contact.
This badge makes it tougher for the defense to get through or around screens. Players hit by contact from a Brick Wall lose more energy than normal.
|CHASE DOWN ARTIST||Raises the chances of getting a chase-down block.
Boosts the speed and leaping ability of a player when he is chasing down an offensive player in anticipation of a block attempt.
|CLAMPS||Boosts the ability to stay in front of the ball handler on the perimeter.
Defenders have access to quicker cut off moves and are more successful when bumping or hip riding the ball handler.
|DEFENSIVE LEADER||Boosts the defensive abilities of teammates when in the game.
Lifts the defensive abilities of teammates when on the court. Also, at the Hall of Fame level, can see potential shot percentages of opposing players.
|HEART CRUSHER||Decreases opponents’ Takeover meters when achieving a highlight play on defense.
After successfully blocking or stealing the ball from an opponent, an additional penalty is given to the opposing player’s Takeover meter.
|INTERCEPTOR||Increases the chances at getting steals in passing lanes.
The frequency of successfully tipped or intercepted passes greatly increases.
|INTIMIDATOR||Intimidates offensive players causing them to miss shots more often.
Offensive players have less success shooting when contested by players with this badge. Also boosts the shot defense ratings when tightly guarding an opponent.
|LIGHTNING REFLEXES||Receives an earlier cue on the Read and React system when playing defense.
Gives the defender an advantage to read where the ball handler is going in the Read and React system.
|MOVING TRUCK||Strengthens a defender’s ability to move people around in the post.
Players are more effective pushing opponents out of the post while playing defense.
|OFF-BALL PEST||Improves a player’s ability to bump and harass the offense off the ball.
Makes players more difficult to get past when playing off-ball, as the can grab and hold their matchup and don’t get their ankles broken as often.
|PICK DODGER||Improves a player’s ability to navigate through screens effectively on defense.
Improves a player’s ability to navigate through and around screens while on defense.
|PICK POCKET||Improves a player’s ability to steal the ball from a ball handler.
Increases the chances of a steal and reduces the chances of a foul when attempting to strip the ball from a ball handler. Also improves the chances of a successful layup strips.
|POGO STICK||Improves the ability to attempt multiple blocks in succession.
Allows players to quickly go back up for another block attempt upon landing.
|POST MOVE LOCKDOWN||Improves the defender’s ability to defend post moves.
Increases the chances of a defender preventing an offensive post move from succeeding.
|REBOUND CHASER||Improves a player’s ability to chase down rebounds.
Improves a player’s ability to track down rebounds from farther distances than normal.
|RIM PROTECTOR||Improves ability to block shots, gives boosts to the Takeover meter for blocker/teammates.
Improves player’s ability to block shots, unlocks special block animations and gives a boost to the Takeover meter for the blocker and blocker’s teammates following a block.
|TIRELESS DEFENDER||Reduces energy lost when exerting effort on defense.
Allowing defender to play defense more aggressively without losing energy at the same rate as normal player.
|TRAPPER||Makes like difficult for the offensive players when trapped.
When trapping offensive players, defenders are more effective at forcing pick ups and turnovers than normal.
|WORM||Allows rebounders to swim or spin around box outs more easily.
when boxes out, rebounders have more success swimming around and getting into successful rebound position
MORE BADGES INSIGHTS:
- Anklebreaker Badge helps you drop off defenders with driving moves that change direction hard.
- Tight Handles Badge allows you to stun defenders and beat them with a first step after sizing up.
- Quick First Step Badge resulting in blow-bys has been nerfed in the final NBA 2K20 build (not in the demo).
- Quick Draw Badge replaced being able to choose the speed of our release when picking a jumpshot.
- Hot Start Badge kicks in as soon as you make your first shot but it has to be your first attempt, doesn’t matter when.
- Steady Shooter Badge will actually lower your open FG% slightly but will help mitigate the penalties of shooting contested.
- Slithery Finisher Badge will help you evade the contact altogether, which is ideal for attacking the rim.
- Contact Finisher Badge will help you make shots when you do take contact from defenders. Most slashers will probably want both.Contact Finisher Badge helps you make contact layups. Relentless Finisher Badge helps you do it more times.
- Deadeye Badge only protects against late closeouts (defender not there when you start your shot, but closes late and gets a hand in your face.)
- Steady Shooter Badge helps nerf the impact of defenders who are there at the gather and release at the cost of hurting you if you only take open Js.
- Good shot selection is still king. Deadeye and Steady Shooter won’t save you if your game is predicated on forcing bad shots.
- Acrobat Badge helps with mid-air shot changes, reverse layups, euro, cradle, spin, etc.
- Fancy Footwork Badge helps you get by defenders during the gather, Acrobat helps you finish the shot.
- Steady Shooter Badge is the only badge that has a ‘contrary relationship’
- For Floor General Badge, if the whole team has Floor General, the team will get the boost of the highest badge level available among the players. They don’t stack.
- Intimidator Badge bumps up the effectiveness of shot contests, causing more misses
- Clamp Badges helps you stonewall ball handlers more often and makes it harder for them to blow by you.
- Space Creator Badge affects both dribble moves and shots
- Needle Threader Badge improves pass accuracy and makes it tougher to intercept passes. If you want to buff the receiver’s shots you need Dimer Badge .
- Takeover returns in NBA 2K20 with more content and new features
- Team Takeover is still in the game
- Some choices leave you with 2 Takeovers to choose from. Some can give you 4 Takeovers
- You can choose your own takeover , but it will have to be related to your attributes. i.e.
- You can’t be a Lockdown and pick a Sharp takeover.
- Re-tuned Takeover abilities to be much more balanced across positions and play styles
- Take-over OP (over-powered) animations have been toned down or removed
- Takeover activates on its own. You don’t need to click the analog stick anymore
- There are no double takeovers
- Takeovers can be chosen before each game and can be changed later in the MyPLAYER editor.
- There’s at least one new takeover in this year’s game, but the details on it haven’t been revealed.
LIST OF TAKEOVERS:
Glass Cleaners receive the ability to read missed shots, win more box out battles, secure more boards, and finish putbacks more consistently.
Lockdown Defenders receive boosts to steals and shot contests, allowing them to clamp down even the best scorers in the game.
Playmakers can freeze defenders more often with augmented ball handling abilities, and can enhance their teammates’ shot making off assists.
Post Scorers become more dominant in the paint with stronger backdowns and enhanced moves and shots.
Rim Protectors get strong shot contest boosts and an arsenal of exclusive blocks that allow them to anchor the defense.
Shot Creators become more effective at shooting off the dribble and can shake off defenders consistently using stepback and spin gathers.
Slashers receive extra boosts to finishing at the rim in traffic and more effective gathers to get past the defense.
Spot Up Shooter
Spot Up Shooters get a marked improvement to hit from deep, especially in catch and shoot situations.
- There are Different Body Shapes when making your MyPLAYER : Defined, Solid, Burley, Built, Slight, Compact. Body type has no effect on your attributes, just collisions if you make a fatter (Burley) Player.
- Compact looks skinny/wirey. Defined looks ripped, etc.
- @Beluba and various NBA 2K Developers
- Official NBA 2K blogs
- NBA 2KTV
- Various Content Creators from 2K Community Day